Now I know what you’re thinking… why would you ever not want carbs!? We all know I like to indulge every now and again (Summer Cupcakes, Magic Star Chocolate Brownies, Father’s Day Chocolate Cake and so on), but sometimes it’s nice to eat a little more healthily, get some extra veggies, and try something new! So that’s what I’ve done with this vegetable ‘pasta’. I’ve had this dish a couple of times, and have actually really enjoyed it – it tastes great and you feel super healthy for eating it.
I’m a vegetarian so have used Quorn mince in the sauce, but this recipe will work just as well with meat if you prefer. And you can absolutely make this sort of pasta yourself using a spiralizer if you have one, or even just a vegetable peeler – however I have to admit that in our household we get it pre-made just for ease!
This recipe serves 3-4 people, depending on how much you eat. And if you do want some carbs with it why not serve with some garlic bread, with how healthy this meal is you can definitely afford to!
1 garlic clove
1 green pepper
1/3 red onion
350g Quorn mince
2 vegetable stock cubes
Pinch of mix of spices – salt, pepper, mild chilli, turmeric
400g Tomato passata (at least – add more if you like more sauce)
- Chop garlic, peppers and onion into little cubes
- Put oil into a frying pan and let it heat up
- Put garlic, peppers and onions into the oil, and fry until starting to brown
- Add in the Quorn mince (or use normal mince if you prefer!) and fry until brown
- Crumble in the vegetable cubes, and add in the salt, pepper, mild chilli and turmeric
- Add in the tomato passata
- Leave to simmer for 20-30 mins, stirring when necessary
- In a separate pan add in some oil and leave until hot, then put in the vegetable pasta and fry for around 5 minutes, or until soft and reduced in size
- Put the pasta onto a plate/bowl and then add the sauce on top
*As always, if you’ve enjoyed what you’ve read don’t forget to follow or subscribe by email to my blog to stay up to date, and why not check out my other posts whilst you’re here too!*