This past week the UK has experienced actual, proper summer – can you believe it!? We’ve had blue skies, sunshine and heat for pretty much a full 7 days! Obviously in typical British style we started off completely unprepared for it, trying to concentrate in my boiling office was a nightmare and my bedroom was so hot at night that I could barely sleep, however after a bit of getting used to… We’ve managed to embrace it! 2 BBQs, sitting in the garden most evenings and having cocktails in beer gardens has been a welcome change from the dull weather we’re used to.
For a family BBQs that I went to I decided to bake some cupcakes to take with me to share out. However, instead of my usual trusty chocolate flavour I wanted something summery and fresh, and lemon sounded perfect. I also decided to make some vanilla flavour for anyone not keen on lemon!
These cupcakes are perfect for a summery picnic, BBQ or to eat with a cool drink in the garden. Or even with an afternoon coffee or tea when the weather inevitably cools down again, just as a reminder of this glorious sunshine! They take very little time and few ingredients, so are easy to throw together for a spontaneous event.
250g self-raising flour
250g butter (softened)
250g caster sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
125g icing sugar
1 tbsp warm water
Decorative edible flowers (optional!)
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Add the butter and sugar together and whisk
- Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking after each
- Add in flour in a ¼ at a time and whisk after each part
- Split the mixture into 2 bowls to make the 2 flavours (I did 2/3 into 1 bowl for the lemon cupcakes and 1/3 into the other for the vanilla cupcakes)
- Into one bowl add in the zest and juice of 1 lemon and mix it in
- In the second bowl add in 2 tsps of vanilla extract and mix it in
- Spoon the mixtures into cupcake cases – try and put them in an order so that you can remember which cupcakes are which flavour!
- Put into the oven for 20 mins or until a knife can be put in and come out clean
- Allow to completely cool
- Mix together the icing sugar and water, adding a little more of each to create your desired consistency, and spoon onto cakes
- Add the flowers onto the cakes as the icing is drying, I put yellow flowers on the lemon cakes and blue or pink flowers on the vanilla
*As always, if you’ve enjoyed what you’ve read don’t forget to follow or subscribe by email to my blog to stay up to date, and why not check out my other posts whilst you’re here too!*